Sunday, September 16, 2007

Week #2 In Review

LANGUAGE ARTS: This week we started SWR by reviewing the first 26 phonograms, building the consonant/vowel page, then learning the multi-letter phonograms introduced in lists A-C. Grace already knows how to spell all of the words in these lists, so I opted to start the spelling log at list D but didn’t want to skip over the multi-letter phonograms. We’ve also gone through the first 21 lessons in FLL. Much of this is also review at this point, so we’re combining several lessons in one day.

CHARACTER: The focus was on our house rule #2 ~ “Be kind in actions and words.” We had several stories dealing with kindness, including “The Way of the Circle” by James Vollbracht, Aesop’s Fable “The Lion and the Mouse,” and a Chinese fable “Dung-Shi Copies Eyebrows.” We have also read aloud the first 10 chapters of “Charlotte’s Web” – and the girls watched the movie over the weekend. I had Grace write and illustrate several quotes from these stories as copywork during the week.

INDEPENDENT READING: Grace continued reading Nora Gaydos books, as well as several step 1 & 2 books. She also had some computer time on Starfall.

MATH: We played the Pyramid card game (one of our new favorites!) and the Go to the Dump game (from the RightStart Card Games book) many times this week. Our Horizons 2 kit arrived early Thursday morning, so we managed to squeeze in a couple of lessons from it before the end of the week.

HISTORY: We read the introduction and chapter 1 in SOTW 1, as well as some Magic School Bus books. Narrations are going as expected…heavily prompted, but at least she is listening!

SCIENCE: We finished our dinosaur notebook/scrapbook/flapbook, and Grace was SO EXCITED that she had created her very first scrapbook page…mostly by herself. Since scrapbooking is one of my passions as well, I’m just thrilled that she enjoyed it. (Now if I could get her as enthusiastic about math as I am!) I still need to take pictures, so I’ll post them later. We also re-read “The Magic School Bus: In the Time of the Dinosaurs.”

CO-OP: This was also our first week at our homeschool co-op. Grace is taking Musical Theatre, Gymnastics and Art…and enjoyed them all on the first day. Emma is in Preschool Storytime…and tolerated it as long as I was there with her. I’m looking forward to getting to know some of the other homeschool families better over the course of the year.

ART: Grace is always making an art project of some sort. This week was no different. She definitely gets her artistic side from her dad. She also completed a GeeArt lesson on the computer.

THIS WEEK’S HIGHLIGHT: This was a major birthday week at our house. Grace turned 7 last Sunday, then Matthew’s birthday was Friday. Instead of having a full-blown party, Grace opted for inviting her friend to go to the circus with us & have a sleepover. Since I don’t have any “school” pictures to scrap this week, I’ll end with one from the circus…


Credits: Created in Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0. Layered template by Katie Pertiet at Designer Digitals. Digital kit by Shabby Miss Jenn. Fonts used: SP Dinner & a Movie, Misproject, and Adobe Casion Pro.

4 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Great week!

I love the clowns! How fun for your kids!

I'll be back!

Lisawa~

my5wolfcubs said...

Sounds like a great week! Keep on keeping on with the narrations -- time & practice make them soooo much easier/better (I know because it was true for ME! Narrating isn't easy!).
I'd love for you to share some math enthusiasm on your blog too...
Look forward to seeing Grace's scrapbook page pictures!
Lee

C said...

So glad I could entertain you with my turd stories! heh! heh!

LH said...

Came by to see your weekly review -- lookes great :-)