Sunday, October 14, 2007

Week #6 In Review

Fall is one of my favorite times of year. It's also one of those times of the year that seems to just fly by. And that was before we started homeschooling. This week was no exception. However, despite several distractions...beautiful weather, Emma's impending cold, and a mid-week "date" night...we managed to get quite a bit done. Here are the highlights:

LANGUAGE ARTS: This week in SWR we concentrated on reviewing the 70 phonograms, as well as a few key spelling rules. We picked back up in FLL with the second half of the book, which has a much better pace, IMHO. For fun, we added in some Schoolhouse Rock to review all those parts of speech. Our main selection for copywork & memorization was "Table Manners" (aka "The Goops") by Gelett Burgess. This also tied in nicely with our CHARACTER lesson.

READING: We're still working through Bridge to Terabithia as our read-aloud. Grace's independent reading consisted of Owl at Home, Young Cam Jansen & the Zoo Note Mystery, and...drum roll please...her FIRST EVER READ-TO-HERSELF CHAPTER BOOK. It's a Junie B. Jones book that she picked out on our last library visit. I'm sure Charlotte Mason would consider it twaddle, but I'm tickled that she finally wants to read something all by herself...to herself. I just had her give me a summary of each chapter as she finished it, then one night she read a chapter to me...just so I could see how she's doing. Two thumbs up!

MATH: Grace completed four lessons in Horizons 2. And since we are working on skip-counting by 3's, we watched...you guessed it...Schoolhouse Rock's "3 is a Magic Number." Ahhh...good times...

CHARACTER: House rule #6--show respect to others by using good manners. See LA discussion above...love those Goops!

SPANISH: We did a combination of UnitedStreaming's Elementary Spanish (unit1, lesson3) and Spanish for Children (lesson1). I know...I know...I still need to post our Spanish plan. It's on my to-do list. :)

Add in a co-op day and some beautiful, sunny days in the Pacific Northwest, and you've got a full week. In closing, here are some photos taken at our trip to the pumpkin patch today. Thanks for stopping by!




Credits: Created in Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0. Templates by Jen Caputo & Heather Roselli. "Cherrywood Farm" digital kit by Shabby Miss Jenn. Staples by Amber Clegg. Fonts used--Shalimar Swash & Linenstroke.

5 comments:

Meliss said...

Great pictures and scrapbook pages!

Lisa~ said...

I love fall here in the PNW! Its been a beautiful weekend here!

Looks like you had a great week! Yeah Evergreen Eclectic Academy!

Lisa~

Darcy @ m3b said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! Love the scrapbook, and what a productive week. Great minds think alike because I also blogged about pumpkin patch goings. 'Cept not nearly as crafty! ;)

Mogster said...

I am always in awe over your scrapbook pages! They are so beautiful! I am still doing the old-fashioned cropping style -- what would I need to get converted to digital? Also, what/how do you print your final layouts on to put them in an actual book? Thanks in advance for the input :-)

Tammy said...

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! :">

Mogster: What you need to come over to the dark side...I mean digital world...depends on how much time you want to spend learning the software, etc. There are so many choices & info to share that I think I'll devote an entire post to it. :) Thanks for the questions!